Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March 1st, then and now

5 years ago March 1st took on a different meaning for me. In the past it had always just been "another day"~ another number in the 365 days that always seem to go by too quickly. Days seem to fly by no matter how much we try to keep them moving slowly~ This has become much more apparent to me after I had children.

5 years ago March 1st was supposed to be "another day".....just another Wednesday that I would be seeing my OBGYN for an appt. I was 26 weeks pregnant with McKenna and had been on bedrest for 6 weeks. I was supposed to go to stay at Aunt Diana and Uncle Rick's for a few nights for a change of scenery but things went a completely different direction when Aunt Diana had to drive me to the hospital for what would end up being an 8 week long stay before Kenna was born 6 1/2 weeks early.

March 1st is different for me now. It means much more than just another day. It might be categorized as the hardest day of my life. The scariest day of my life. The day in my life that I cried the most. However it has made me a different person. It taught me that I'm stronger than I give myself credit for. It taught me patience. It gave me a new respect for what it means to be a nurse and what it means to be a patient. It taught me the strength of relationships, of families. It made me grateful for what I have be given.

It hit me like a ton of bricks today at work. I was in the breakroom making my lunch when a nurse asked me "So, how old is your oldest daughter now?"

"Four and a half" I said, my mind swirling as I realized it was March 1st.

I pondered the date for the 20 minutes that it took me to eat, then, in the quiet of my office, I cried. I cried as I relived the emotions of that Wednesday in 2006. I cried as I thanked God for the experience. I cried as I thought of the amazing four and a half year old that God blessed us with!

I still have a card that I was given by a friend during that time. I have held on to it becase the message is so true. I believe that God gave us that experience for a reason! He wanted to teach me things that I could only learn through that experience, and for that, I am grateful.(Not to mention that I got an amazing little girl out of it!!!)

The card says:
"You are going through trials and difficulties, not because God has abandoned you, but because He has chosen you and called you to know His heart. ~Roy Lessin
There is a purpose in what you are walking through, and God would never allow it if He could not keep you close to His heart and use it for good in the plan He has for your life"

This card is so true. And I believe, that March 1st 5 years ago, He wanted to teach........

No comments:

Post a Comment